EU Commission published PAHs restriction
December 6, 2013, European Commission has published a regulation (EU) 1272/2013 to add a restriction to REACH covering the presence of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) in consumer products and will apply from 27 December 2015.
In Annex XVII to Regulation (EC) No 1907/2006, in column 2 of entry 50, the following paragraphs 5, 6, 7 and 8 are added:
- Articles shall not be placed on the market for supply to the general public, if any of their rubber or plastic components that come into direct as well as prolonged or reasonably foreseeable conditions of use, contain more than 1 mg/kg (0.0001% by weight of this component) of any of the listed PAHs.
Such articles include amongst others:
- sport equipment such as bicycles, golf clubs, racquets
- household utensils, trolleys, walking frames
- tools for domestic use
- clothing, footwear, gloves and sportswear
- watch-straps, wrist-bands, masks, head-bands
- Toys, including activity toys, and childcare articles, shall not be placed on the market, if any of their rubber or plastic components that come into direct as well as prolonged or short-term repetitive contact with the human skin or the oral cavity, under normal or reasonably foreseeable conditions of use, contain more than 0.5 mg/kg (0.00005% by weight of this component) of any of the listed PAHs.
- By way of derogation from paragraphs 5 and 6, these paragraphs shall not apply to articles placed on the market for the first time before 27 December 2015.
- By 27 December 2017, the Commission shall review the limit values in paragraphs 5 and 6 in the light of new scientific information, including migration of PAHs form the articles referred to therein, and information on alternative raw materials and, if appropriate, modify these paragraphs accordingly.
Information Resource: (EU) No 1272/2013
Contact Window ：
Taipei Multi Chemical Laboratory
ADD: No. 125, Wu Kung Road, New Taipei Industrial Park, Wu Ku District, New Taipei City, Taiwan 24886
TEL: +886-2-2299-3279 Ext. 3103~3127
Kaohsiung Multi Chemical Laboratory
ADD: No. 61, Kai-Fa Road, Nanzih Export Processing Zone, Kaohsiung, Taiwan 81170
TEL: +886-7-301-2121 Ext. 4101~4106